Friday, February 09, 2007

Easy as 1, 2, 3?

At the beginning of the training program we were supplied with three levels of workouts corresponding to beginner, intermediate, and advanced fitness levels for participants. The idea is that you should pick a program and stick with it. For the swim workouts there is usually 2-300 yards difference between each level; biking around 5-10'; running usually 5', but some of the Level 3 runs are significantly longer. I started out squarely in Level 1 based mostly on the run schedule (where I need the most work). Liz, Steph and I quickly moved to Level 2 in the water since we had started that on our own before Thanksgiving, and now the coach has pushed me into Level 3. Bike? I'm sticking with Level 2 now; an extra 5' on the bike is not as big of a deal as an extra 5' on the run. Running? I tried to do Level 2 for a bit but am very wary of pushing myself too hard too fast; sticking to Level 1 for now. Nothing would derail this whole training thing faster than a running injury. So basically I'm all over the place in each training plan!

I was pumped on Tuesday to jump into the Level 3 workout on a non-EZ week. Well, as pumped as I can be at 5:30 in the morning when the wind chill is below zero outside, which isn't all that much. The workout we were given was listed as 2350 yards (Level 2 was 2000). However, the math didn't add up. Total for the different parts of the workout gave us 1850 for #3 and 1800 for #2. Hmmm. Teen and I had a lane to ourselves and went about with the workout as written. My usual #2 lane was given an extra 100 yd interval by the coach so they ended up doing more than we did. So much for leveling up! It was a good workout, though. I'm really feeling strong in the water. On the 15 second walk out to the car Liz and Steph's exposed wet hair froze solid. Yikes.

Wednesday was a 50' ride (Level 2) on the trainer. Hooray for saved shows on DVR! The trainer is really mind-numbing without any distractions. We had also done a 40' bike on Monday with some hill intervals which I simulated by just shifting into a higher gear. Thursdays are gearing up to be the real killer days from now on, both in the workout itself and the challenge of actually fitting them in. To wit, yesterday was 2000 yards in the pool (Level 3) and a 50' run (Level 1). We got to the pool at 6:00 as normal, but getting back home a little after 8:00 doesn't leave room for the run. I didn't get home until after 7:00 by which time it was dark with wind chills in the low single digits. Ugh. Luckily I'm taking my birthday off today from work (kinda sorta not really) so was able to run for 50' after it had warmed up a little bit. A little bit; it was still damn cold. And I've continued my uncanny ability to come in at an almost exactly 10 minute mile pace for new routes I've never tried before. I guess consistency is something, but I'm not seeing much improvement there yet. I won't be able to do the split workout every week (and sacrifice our off day), so as these long runs start creeping up to 65' and 70' I'll need to figure out a schedule that fits into the work day. It was much easier when these long runs were on Sunday.

Tomorrow is the regular Saturday brick: 90' bike + 15' run. Again it is out in the middle of nowhere (from this D.C. resident's viewpoint). Matt and Andrew are coming down in the late morning so there is no way we'd be able to work out with the group and get back in time. I think we've accumulated enough warm bike gear to have a go at biking the canal trail or down to Hains Point for 90' and be back and dressed in time. We'll see how the birthday dinner goes tonight!

No comments: