Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Holiday aftermath

Normally the week and-a-half surrounding Christmas and New Year's isn't exactly conducive to maintaining a good workout schedule. This year wasn't too much different. We spent the weekend before Christmas in Philadelphia with Liz's family and actually got a couple good workouts in according to the training plan: a 35-minute run on Saturday and 40 minute bike on Sunday. The weather for the run was spectacular, almost 60 degrees in the morning. Since we didn't bother to lug the bikes up with us we had to settle for spinning at the Philadelphia Sports Club in Wayne. Membership at the WSC does have it's priveleges. The club up there is brand spanking new and even has a pool. We were tempted to take advantage but never found the time.

We ony had a couple days back in DC before heading down to Florida for Liz and Ian's wedding in Ft Myers Beach. Tuesday was a swim day, and we had thought that the regularly scheduled group practice would be happening on 12/26. Not that we would have been able to make the 5:30 swim anyway I was aiming for the night session. Turns out there was no night session. At least it gave me a chance to try out the pool Takoma Rec Center since UDC is closed for the holidays until 1/8. It's a great pool: not crowded and huge. We'll go back this week on Thursday. Wednesday was supposed to be a bike workout, but a late day at work had me bagging that entirely, along with most of the rest of the holiday schedule.

We were told to try to get in all of the workouts on vacation that we could. Easier said than done, especially in the pool. We were up early on Thursday for the flight, and once we got to the hotel it was decided that we would push that workout (20' run + swim workout) to Friday which was supposed to be an off day. I had my doubts that we'd do anything at all, but Liz and I got up and out the door to run in the morning and warm sunshine. After 2 miles or so it was back to the condo to change for a swim. The complex had a pool of indeterminate length (I estimated 20 meters), but at least I got the whole thing in! Well, minus 20% of the distance for the shorter pool. Saturday was supposed to be another longish run, but fishing beckoned. About the only thing that got a workout was my left bicep and forearm from holding the rod! I just fely wiped out on Sunday after the weekend. I did manage to get in another 2 mile run at Lovers Key state park just down the road. It was great to run on some trails instead of the pavement except for the two snakes I had to hurdle. They were both stretched out across almost the entire width of the trail catching some morning sun. I didn't stop to see what kind they were, but one must have been about 4 feet long. I thought it was a stick at first and barely missed stepping on its head!

New Year's Day was another off day (much needed) and the start to an easy week on the schedule. This morning was another 5:30 swim that didn't start until 5:50 or so after another lifeguard no-show. At least this time we were able to call and get the alarm codes. I think we're only 1-for-4 on starting that workout on time. 6:30 came up fast and we only got through about 2/3 of the workout. I was actually kind of bummed! Sharing the lane with 4 people makes it hard to keep pace; I was stopping after almost every length to try and maintain spacing which made the longer intervals a lot easier than they should have been. The rest of the week should be pretty easy; a bunch of 15-20' runs and bikes that almost don't seem worth it. We've been told to actually take it easy and not try to make up for lost time, and after putting almost all of weight back on that I had lost in the past few weeks I'll have to try hard to heed that advice. The swim on Thursday should be a challenge, though, if we get through the entire workout from today (1900+ yards). Saturday will be the first group workout we'll be able to attend, and it couldn't come at a better time. I desperately need some running advice before we start getting into longer run workouts or I'm going to end up hurting myself. After this easy week I think the real fun is going to begin!

No comments: