Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Training through the "holidays"

The good thing about having an early February birthday is that comes at a time just when the post-Holidays doldrums would really set in. It's also a good excuse to blow off some training for a weekend of fun. Well, "good" is all relative here. I just view it as some extra built-in recovery days ...

Tri training has been going well, and the build towards the half marathon has gone about as well as I could have imagined. I hit almost 11 miles on my long run two weeks ago and plan to nudge that towards 12 this weekend. I'm aiming to top out at a 2 hour run before starting the taper in time for St. Patrick's weekend. This won't get me to race distance, but it'll be close enough!

We've actually had some nice training weekends for a change this year. Our first brick on Saturday started out above freezing (well, minus the wind chill at least) which was nice. I don't think we'll be as lucky this weekend. My struggle with minor frostbite in my fingers continues whenever the thermometer drops below freezing. I'm convinced I'm just cursed with poor circulation in those particular extremities. I had to abort a ride a couple weeks ago to let them thaw out, but I'm done messing around and picked up a pair of these. If technical backcountry gloves rated to 5 F can't do the trick I'm going to give up or get some of those hand warmer things. Think warm thoughts for me ...

No comments: