Thursday, May 03, 2007

Run

I remember looking at my watch crossing the timing mat out of transition and seeing 1:47-something. My goal for the run had been sub 60:00, a little under 10:00/mile pace, doable as a standalone effort in training in nice cool weather. I would be happy with that time and it would have put me well under 2:50:00 for the whole event. My overall goal was sub 3:00:00 so at this point I relaxed a bit knowing I had that in the bag unless I totally blew up on the run.

The first mile or so out was almost without shade. It was about 11:00 AM at this point and HOT! Heat index was probably 85-90. My stomach immediately started feeling a little queasy (I brought along a gel in my jersey, but decided against taking it). I probably took in to much on the bike and was paying for it, but figured that too much nutrition was better than too little. In truth I was probably already a little dehydrated which isn't good. My legs felt dead. There were water stops every mile and I walked for 10 seconds at the first one to grab some water and force it down. Luckily my stomach didn't reject it like I was worrying. Steph re-passed me at this point; it was good to see a friendly face. I forced myself to stay on her pace for about 2 minutes just to get my cadence up until she pulled away around a corner. At this point my legs had loosened up a bit and my brain started telling me that it could pick it up. That lasted about a 1/2 mile. Slowing down the mile 2 water stop to grab some water I had to force myself to run again. I didn't know what my pace was since I forgot to take my split again, but the first mile I had gone out too fast (probably around 9:00) and needed to slow down. It seemed like forever until the turnaround came at 3.1 miles. There were lots of turns in the residential neighborhood and I kept thinking it would be around the next bend. That's a bad mental game to play so I started concentrating on other runners and the surroundings. There were lots of families out spraying down runners with hoses which felt great. I started seeing lots of folks from earlier waves coming back and saw Teen (but somehow missed Steph after she hit the turnaround).

It was pretty much all TNT on the course at this point so there was lots of "Go Team!" as people passed you. I was hoping the turnaround would be a big boost. Half way home! It wasn't. I was really hot and started to feel a bit faint even. At the mile 4 station I grabbed a water for my head and got some down but still felt light-headed. I wanted to run the whole thing minus the aid stations, but at this point I was really hurting. I stopped to walk and looked up to see Liz coming my way. I walked until I could slap her hand which gave me a boost to get running again. Still feeling queasy I took off my hat to run my hand through my hair. It felt really good! I had put it on to keep the sun out of my face and hopefully keep cool but think it was overheating me. Into the hand it went and I felt a little better instantly. Not good, just not on the verge of passing out. It was at this point that little goals became really important: count strides to that light post, keep your eye on the fire hydrant at the next turn, go strong up and over the bridge, the Mile 5 station is just around the corner! One more cup of water at mile 5 and another over my head. Around that turn there was no more shade, just a straight mile shot to the finish line.

I was in lots of pain a this point, physically exhausted and mentally worn down. I forced my cadence back up and just concentrated on my form and seeing the finish line. Got some words of encouragement from coach Bryan just at Mile 6 and tried to find another gear for the finish. I didn't really start kicking it in until I was in the final turn for the finish chute. It was definitely no sprint to the finish! I didn't even see the clock at the finish line and forgot to stop my watch so I didn't even know what my time was, but didn't care a bit at that point! Got my finisher's medal and an ice cold towel around my neck (which felt better than I could possibly imagine). Teen was right there at the finish line screaming, "Congratulations, triathlete!". I think she may have tried to hand me a beer, but I don't remember. I felt really light-headed and dizzy. That ended up lasting for about 20 minutes until I was able to get some water and food in me. I knew enough to keep walking around and not sit down yet, but I crouched down by a tree near the finish and almost didn't make it back up! I spotted some more TNTers, signed in so they knew I was alive, and generally walked around in the shade waiting for Liz to finish. We had given the camera to one of the coaches but couldn't find it in the TNT tent so was a bit worried; it turned up but I was hoping to have it for finishing pictures.

Liz finished and we went back to the TNT tent to trade stories, eat and drink more water, get a quick massage, and finally grab a beer!! I started feeling really good if still a bit dazed from exhaustion. I still didn't know my exact time, but figured I was under 2:50:00 which was incredible. In the grand scheme of things that put me towards the back of the middle of the pack in my age group, but it's a time I was really proud of even in my wildest expectations. I didn't even want to think about it and just enjoy being done. Done!

No comments: