Friday, March 16, 2007

What happened to Spring??


Just as I was getting used to training in more hospitable weather ... we get today. Yesterday I'm running on a 60 degree morning, now it's near freezing and raining with the possibility for some snow tonight. That doesn't help the training! We're scheduled for a 2 hour ride/30 minute run brick tomorrow, but I'm thinking it's not going to happen. It'll be the trainer for us. I wish the tournament games started at 8:00 in the morning so there would be something good to watch on TV ...

This week has been good, the current weather notwithstanding. Tuesday we received our triathlon wetsuits at swim practice. I chose the sleeveless version just because I wanted the range of motion. It's amazing how much smoother it makes you feel in the water. I can see how it could help cut a minute or so off of your swim time. Here's hoping! During a couple test laps (they're far too insulating to wear in a warm pool for long) I was able to take one less stroke per length. They just seem to glide better through the water, mostly because they really help to keep your legs from sinking and causing drag. We won't get to use them again until a short open water training swim the day before the race in Florida, but I don't see adjusting to it being a problem. Getting it off of my body during transition maybe another story.

After the 5K last weekend and with an 8K looming this Sunday I wasn't sure how to approach the runs this week. One of the coaches said not to worry about it as long as I wasn't "racing" the races but just using them as extra tempo runs. We're out of the pool and back home around 7:20 on Tuesdays normally which is a lot earlier than the average 8:15 or so after Thursday morning swims. I decided to swap the runs on those days and do the longer 75' run on Tuesday. I concentrated on slowing myself down and really keeping in an easy zone for the entire run. I went a little over 7 miles, and it felt good. Thursday's 40' run included two 6' speed intervals. Even after those extended efforts I was able to keep jogging and recover my heart rate fairly quickly. That is something I really struggled with earlier in the training; I really felt the need to walk after any harder effort. Running continues to improve and I hope there is more to come before the race!

I didn't have time to do the bike on Wednesday so I'll spin easy tonight for an hour, then get up and do 2 hours (ugh) on the trainer and then out for a run. Hopefully it will have warmed up a bit by then. Sunday is the 8K and it will be cold for the race but hopefully not frigid. Then starts the hardest week on the schedule!! I think we're all really looking forward to a break after that.

No comments: