Friday, December 15, 2006

TNT Kickoff

The Team In Training kickoff meeting was on December 2. It was an opportunity to meet the rest of our teammates and hear more about the program goals, meet the coaches, and learn more about fundraising. Liz, Steph, and I had requested Teen as our captain. The group (all 75 of us apparently!) trains as a whole 1-2 times a week, and the team captains act as mentors for groups of 10 or so participants. With our welcome packet we received the training schedule as well, convenientky broken down into 3 different effort levels for beginners (me), experienced triathletes, and really experienced or fit triathletes. The big surprise was that the organized training was not going to begin in January but that very Tuesday. In the pool. At 5:30 in the AM. Yikes.
Since I had planned on trying to build a running base I had previously signed up for a small fun run in Bethesda with the ultimate goal of going as far as I could in the Celtic Solstice 5 Miler up in Baltimore. That means missing all of the organized Saturday group workouts until after the New Year, but it's not like we're slacking off to do it! The first Saturday was a Triathlon 101 clinic, mostly going over gear choices like shoes (check) and bike (check) and necessary swim gear (check and check). The second is going is a stretching clinic that will probably be more useful (I need help with one of my hamstrings that I probably slightly tore a few years ago and never healed completely), but the coaches helpfully post the info to the TNT message group so we're not missing everything. Luckily the first group workout we'll be able to attend will also be one I'll need the most: running technique.

No comments: